"Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." - Mark Twain
A post I wrote a while ago:
My roommate and his girlfriend went ring shopping the other day. This afternoon I asked them about love. It took them 2 months before they said "I love you." I asked how they knew they were in love. She said it started out where she just thought about him all the time. She just knew. I asked if that was infatuation. She said at first it was. It evolved after that. For some infatuation lasts 18 months. We laughed and said by then a BYU couple is already married.
I don't think that love is something anyone can really define for anyone else. I think it's something we crave so much that we have to be careful not to mistake the need for love with love itself. We must also be careful not to mistake love for infatuation. That being said, there is nothing wrong with infatuation. It is a natural stage that all relationships go through. I believe that a relationship that doesn't have an infatuation stage is not going to lead to a happy marriage.
I have never been infatuated with a woman. I have never thought about a woman all the time. In fact anything I've ever had with a woman has been very contrived. I have obsessed over guys, though. And based on how that infatuation feels, I have pretty much decided I can't live my whole life without ever falling in love. I won't live my life without ever falling in love. I can't do this whole Earth thing alone, even if it means having to do the whole heaven thing alone.
"Sometimes love is stronger than a man's convictions." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I can't do this whole Earth thing alone, even if it means having to do the whole heaven thing alone.
Wow... Can I quote you? That is an incredible statement.
This was the whole point I wanted to make in the talk I gave at the last Sunstone Symposium. But for Latter-day Saints, the lines between that Earth thing and the Heaven thing are thin; collapsed almost. LDS see a high degree of continuity and correspondence between the two realms.
That's why we tend not to have a "pie-in-the-sky" outlook. Mormons very much believe that men and women were created to have joy here and now.
Only, gay folks are now being told, we have to wait until after death to experience that fullness of joy.
This is why, I think, Mormons resisted the notion that change in sexual orientation is not really possible. It throws a big huge wrench into the whole LDS outlook to say, "Oh, well, these folks over here can't experience the fullness until the next life." I think our leaders have not thought through the full implications of admitting that homosexuality is not something that appears to really be amenable to change in the majority of people.
Post a Comment